Stronger Together in The Fight Against Hunger, Loaves & Fishes and Friendship Trays Have Merged!
Loaves & Fishes and Friendship Trays are excited to announce that our organizations have merged! We are now officially Loaves & Fishes/Friendship Trays, Inc.
As longtime leaders in the fight against hunger, we believe that working together as one will improve overall access to nutritious food in a way that ensures kindness, dignity, and hope are byproducts of our services.
Friendship Trays Executive Director Lucy Bush Carter and Loaves & Fishes Executive Director Tina Postel share their vision via video message here:
For nearly five decades, Loaves & Fishes and Friendship Trays have worked collaboratively under independent missions to provide food to those in need in Mecklenburg Co. Loaves & Fishes provides nutritious groceries for neighbors in need through our network of emergency food pantries and our new home delivery program. Friendship Trays is the primary Meals on Wheels program in Charlotte-Mecklenburg delivering meals to the elderly and infirm.
After two years of research and reflection, we believe that becoming one united team will increase access to and distribution of healthy food and groceries for those in need in Mecklenburg Co. The pandemic has made this shared mission even more critical!
This is a merger of two strong, financially sound, historic organizations who see this as an opportunity to have a greater impact in meeting the ever growing hunger needs of our community.
- The boards of directors and executive leadership of both organizations have been working together on this merger to increase access to and distribution of healthy food and groceries for those in need in Mecklenburg County.
- Both missions will continue, with the impact of services expected to grow.
- Originally planned for last spring, the merger evolved as both organizations adjusted outreach, operations, and delivery models due to COVID-19.
- As of May 1, joint operations, as well as the combined boards of directors and staff, will work to share resources and find efficiencies. The formal organization name will be Loaves & Fishes/Friendship Trays, Inc., but may change as the mission evolves. Both organizations are financially sound with strong donor and volunteer support.
- The first step of this merger is to formally unite the staff of both organizations under one roof, as safety measures allow. Tina Postel will become the CEO of the new organization with Lucy Bush Carter serving as director emeritus through the transition. Both boards of directors will combine into one board to serve the newly formed 501(c)3.
For more information please read the full Press Release and Frequently Asked Questions.
Please join us on this exciting journey and thank you for your support!