Loaves & Fishes COVID-19 Response – How You Can Help
As our community comes together to slow the spread of the COVID-19 virus, we at Loaves & Fishes remain steadfast in our mission to feed our hungry neighbors in need. Our staff has been actively working in partnership with Second Harvest Food Bank, Friendship Trays, CMS Nutrition Services and others to meet the hunger needs of those impacted by this crisis.
We are taking the following steps to serve a week’s supply of groceries while keeping clients and volunteers safe:
- As the need continues to increase, we have temporarily closed our “brick and mortar” full size pantry locations and have made the switch to mobile pantry operations. These mobile pantry food distribution sites will allow us to serve three to four times more people in a shorter time frame while keeping our clients, volunteers, and staff as safe as possible.
- In an effort to reduce close personal contact and keep our clients and volunteers safe, volunteers will serve clients “drive through” style, placing a pre-packed emergency food box with a 7 day supply of food in the client’s car.
- The Loaves & Fishes Board of Directors has voted to increase the number of pantry visits a client is permitted from 8 to 12 times per rolling calendar year due to the economic and health challenges this pandemic has caused for our community.
How can you help right now?
- Financial donations are the best way to help. We are already seeing a dramatic increase in the number of neighbors looking for emergency food help. In just a matter of weeks, we have surged from feeding 1,200 neighbors a week to over 3,500 a week. Your support is needed now more than ever to ensure our neighbors in need are fed. Donate here or TEXT 44321 to your cell phone and use the code HUNGERACTION.
- We also have a Peer-to-Peer Fundraising option where you can use your social networks to fundraise for us. Click here for an easy 3 step guide to start your own peer-to-peer fundraiser, or social giving challenge, and become a hunger hero today!
- In an effort to limit exposure, keep everyone safe and observe the state and local Stay At Home order, Loaves & Fishes has temporarily suspended volunteer opportunities. Temp workers are helping to pack emergency food boxes with purchased food at this time thanks to emergency funding from the Foundation for the Carolinas/United Way COVID-19 Response Fund to help cover some of this expense. We look forward to having all of our volunteers join us as soon as we possibly can!
- The funding announcement and our hard work were recently highlighted here: Charlotte Business Journal.
Keep up with the latest news. Click here for the latest weekly detailed update from Executive Director Tina Postel.
- Throughout the COVID 19 crisis, we have seen food insecurity needs among the Latinx/Hispanic community explode. To better assist our Spanish speaking neighbors in need, we have created an email account for inquiries in Spanish. Questions or comments can be emailed to: AyudaEnEspanol@loavesandfishes.org. We currently have a Social Work/Spanish Major intern from UNC Wilmington, Nicole Fortoso who will be helping answer any questions this summer for our Spanish speaking friends.
We anticipate the need to continue to rise in our community as a result of the economic impact of COVID-19 on lower income families. Because of your support, we are working hard to stay one step ahead and ready to safely and effectively meet the food insecurity needs of our community despite these challenges.
As always, thank you for your support of Loaves & Fishes!